Almonds grow on trees in a pale green perforated shell. When an almond is attached to the tree, it is known as drupe. But almonds aren't the only ones that grow in a shell - Olives, prunes and apricots also grow in a hard casing and are found on trees.
Almonds don't add to body weight
Why soaked almonds are better - Firstly, the brown peel of almonds contains tannin which inhibits nutrient absorption. Once you soak almonds the peel comes off easily and allows the nut to release all nutrients easily.
How to soak? Soak a handful of almonds in half a cup of water. Cover them and allow them to soak for 8 hours. Drain the water, peel off the skin and store them in plastic container. These soaked almonds will last you for about a week.
Benefits of soaked almonds:
1. Help with digestion - Soaking almonds helps in releasing enzymes which in turn help with digestion. Soaking almonds releases enzyme lipase which is beneficial for digestion of fats.
2. Help with weight-loss - The monounsaturated fats in almonds curb your appetite and keep you full. So feel free to snack on them because they'll help you avoid binge-eating and trigger weight-loss. (Snack on these to burn belly fat)
3. Almonds keep your heart healthy, reduce bad cholesterol (low density lipoprotein) and increase good cholesterol (high density lipoprotein).
4. They are a good source of antioxidants: Vitamin E present in soaked almonds works as an antioxidant which inhibits free radical damage that prevents ageing and inflammation.
5. Fight Cancer: Soaked almonds contain Vitamin B17 which is vital for fighting cancer.
6. Flavonoid present in almonds suppresses tumor growth.
7. Help in lowering and maintaining glucose levels and regulating high blood pressure. (Eat nuts to control blood sugar and fat)
8. Soaked almonds contain folic acid which reduces birth defects.