Garlic (Allium Sativum) is a plant with a very strong and bitter flavor which has been used for both culinary and medical purposes for hundreds of years.
The key medicinal ingredient in garlic is allicin, which is known to have wonderful anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-oxidant properties.
Garlic's antibacterial properties make it a wonderful treatment for coughs and other throat irritations. Garlic may also reduce the severity of upper respiratory tract infections.
Garlic is considered to regulate blood sugar levels by increasing the release of insulin in diabetics. Therefore an effective remedy is to take one capsule or tablet of garlic everyday.
Garlic is known to have antiviral properties, which helps the body fight against allergies. Simply take one tablet of garlic supplement each day 2 or 3 weeks before the usual allergy season begins.
High Blood Pressure
Clinical studies have shown that people with high blood
pressure who took garlic capsules daily for up to five months lowered their blood pressure levels as effectively as patients taking prescription blood pressure drugs. A suggested dosage is 600-900mg garlic capsules once daily.
Studies have shown that taking 600-900mg of garlic
everyday lowers cholesterol levels and reduces arterial plaque formationby 18%. Therefore, an effective natural remedy is to take one garlic tablet or capsule (600-900mg) once per day.
Garlic antibacterial, analgesic, and anesthetizing properties can help cure toothaches. Simply put some garlic oil or a piece of crushed garlic clove directly onto the affected tooth and the gum for instant relief.
Garlic ability to fight infections and bacteria makes it an effective cure for warts and other skin problems.
* Take a fresh clove of garlic and cut its tip off.
* Rub the cut area of the clove directly onto the wart for a few seconds.
* Repeat this each night before going to bed until the wart disappears.
If you feel any kind of irritation or strong burning sensation, simply rinse the area with water.
7 kinds of garlic, 7 judges, but, amazingly, a certain amount of consensus and a couple clear favorites.
....... consuming garlic generally has the following physical effects:
* Garlic lowers blood pressure a little. (9% to 15 % with one or two medium cloves per day.)
* Garlic lowers LDL Cholesterol a little. (9% to 15 % with one or two medium cloves per day.)
* Garlic helps reduce atherosclerotic buildup (plaque) within the arterial system. One recent study shows this effect to be greater in women than men.
* Garlic lowers or helps to regulate blood sugar.
* Garlic helps to prevent blood clots from forming, thus reducing the possibility of strokes and thromboses (Hemophiliacs shouldn't use garlic.)
* Garlic helps to prevent cancer, especially of the digestive system, prevents certain tumors from growing larger and reduces the size of certain tumors.
* Garlic may help to remove heavy metals such as lead and mercury from the body.
* Raw Garlic is a potent natural antibiotic that works differently than modern antibiotics and kills some strains of bacteria, that have become immune or resistant to modern antibiotics.
* Garlic has anti-fungal and anti-viral properties.
* Garlic dramatically reduces yeast infections due to Candida species.
* Garlic has anti-oxidant properties and is a source of selenium.
* Eating garlic gives the consumer an enhanced sense of well being - it makes you feel good just eating it.
* Garlic probably has other benefits as well.
What are the Side Effects of Garlic?
For most individuals, garlic does not cause any serious side effects. However people who are allergic to garlic or who consume it in large quantities may suffer from stomach irritation, heartburn, or flatulence. Garlic appears to be safe during pregnancy and breast-feeding.
In fact,two studies have shown that babies prefer breast milk better from mothers who regularly eat garlic.
Note that due to garlic, anti-clotting and blood thinning properties, people taking anti-coagulant drugs or who are scheduled for surgery should check with their doctor before taking garlic supplements.