Total Pageviews

Monday, January 4, 2010

Time is money

Time and tide do not wait for none, goes the saying. Talking about present day it is true, no one has time to any thing extra, except but blame time. It is sad that we take cover under time quoting excuses for insufficient time. How that some person are capable of managing time well, rather making it their slave?

To manage time one needs to organise, plan, and walk the plan. Atleast giving a try will do no harm. How many have tried and given up?.

I have heard people say and blame for lack of time. On the face of it, it will appear what they say is true, but it is a mirage.

I have seen people talking over phone for so long that when it comes to doing something, time is short. I do not say do not talk but can cut short and do the pending work.

For some doing the things at their own pace consumes more time and energy, hence delay the work.For some it is a cover if they delay due to the urgency others might come and give a helping hand. This happened with the cook whom I hired recently who would try to come late .

Considering the dealy in serving the food, I would start cutting vegetables, grind masala etc apart from cooking rice and dal. This she took to her advantage and started cooking cock and bull story to see my reactions. One fine day ,I told her, ''whatever happens at your house I am not responsible and you have to be here by the exact time and you have to do all the work.''
She tries to be on time but late Lathifs are late only.

Personally, I am conscious of time and since my teens I have a strange feeling that if at all I die, I should get an A1 for attending to my duties before my death.

You might laugh and say stupid. But, it is true; even now, I have the fear of not completing my task. When I was working as teacher, I always felt that as far as possible I should check my students’ notebooks in time so that even if I die, it will not be a burden on my colleagues. I made it a point to go first for the average students in my subjects, lest it should be an added burden for my colleague. The same applies to writing the remarks for the report cards.

I make a rough remark for the overall performance, leaving room for the subject wise empty, even in my absence, my colleague does not feel the pinch, and at the same time, the students get a clear picture.

This applies not only to my profession even at home I do the same, preparing for the future, keeping things ready for the oncoming pooja, setting the house ready for the guests, preparing the dry masalas , sending greetings for the birthdays and anniversaries,etc..

My speed with which I could do things relatively better than others thanks to my ‘thinking’ brain. Normally I keep thinking about the days and the week’s tasks vaguely calculating time for each and prioritising them mentally. All I need is to run a recee considering the day, date and the events to co relate. This means even watching my favourite Hindi serials, reading newspapers. [I just glance them in the morning for ten min, later decide to read in detail some times I take the whole week papers to read due to preoccupation or week long out of town business.]

I have encountered many people who are thirunaalai povar, in the sense, tomorrow never comes; all they know is yesterday’s tomorrow, not today’s tomorrow!

I prefer and like people who are not only time conscious, but should also to know respect others’ time. I remember one of my colleagues invited all our group members to her house on a holiday at eleven in the morning. I like a true one who is always punctual rang the bell at eleven, roughly calculating how many would have already arrived. [This means that I have to complete my household work, and my absence in the house for 2 hours would deprive me of my work at home.]

There she is opening the door in her nightee or daytee [my name for those who use the nightgown during daytime also] without any sign of having dressed up to invite friends and with the broom in one hand. I was wrong in thinking that she would go, change, and come. To my shock, she continued to take out the lollies and jollies from the roof and her dress had put even me in shame! When I expressed my anxiety of others delay, she coolly replied saying that they would be late by half an hour. That was the last bit, immediately I told her that I would like to take leave as I have forced my son to take care of the house anticipating the gas refillwala, and there I came out relieved. This is not correct, for you your work is more important, not others? That day I decided not to go to anyone ‘s house if they planned to do something, I doubly verify even now if my friend’s will be totally free and I specify my time of my stay, I normally do not over stay.


Here I would like to bring in the story that was forwarded to me.


A woman came home from work late, tired and irritated, to find her 5-year old son waiting for her at the door.
SON: Mummy, may I ask you a question?

MUM: Yeah sure, what it is?' replied the woman.

SON: Mummy, how much do you make an hour?

MUM: That's none of your business. Why do you ask such a thing? the woman said angrily.

SON: I just want to know. Please tell me, how much do you make an hour?
MUM: If you must know, I make R 50 an hour.

SON: 'Oh,' the little boy replied, with his head down.

SON: Mummy, may I please borrow R25?

The mother was furious, 'If the only reason you asked that is so you can borrow some money to buy a silly toy or some other nonsense, then you march yourself straight to your room and go to bed. Think about why you are being so selfish. I do not work hard everyday for such childish frivolities. 'The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door.

The woman sat down and started to get even angrier about the little boy's questions. How dare he ask such questions only to get some money?

After about an hour or so, the woman had calmed down, and started to think:
Maybe there was something he really needed to buy with that R25.00 and she really did not ask for money very often. The woman went to the door of the little boy's room and opened the door.

'Are you asleep, son?’ She asked.

'No Mummy, I'm awake,' replied the boy.

‘I have been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier' said the woman.

'It's been a long day and I took out my depression on you. Here's the R25 you asked for.' The little boy sat straight up, smiling.

'Oh, thank you Mummy!' he yelled. Then, reaching under his pillow he pulled out some crumpled up bills. The woman saw that the boy already had money, started to get angry again. The little boy slowly counted out his money, and then looked up at his mother.

'Why do you want more money if you already have some?' the mother grumbled.

'Because I didn't have enough, but now I do,' the little boy replied.

'Mummy, I have R50 now. Can I buy an hour of your time? Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with you.'

The mother was crushed. She put his arms around her little son, and she begged for his forgiveness. It is just a short reminder to all of you working so hard in life. We should not let time slip through our fingers without having spent some time with those who really matter to us, those close to our hearts.

Do remember to share that R50 worth of your time with someone you love. If we die tomorrow, the company that we are working for could easily replace us in a matter of hours. But the family & friends we leave behind will feel the loss for the rest of their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment