Total Pageviews

Monday, June 16, 2014

Curd and Butter milk

Butter milk is a very common and a healthy drink of south India, though people in north prefer with sugar as lassi than with salt  It's the cheapest and best form of drink and it boosts one's fallen energy especially during summer. It's a favourite drink of everyone after coming back home in summer. 

Once upon a time curd was a luxury, now it's not so, hotels serve curd as well as buttermilk. At times Railways serve curds in tiny pots and some caterers follow this in functions. As a welcome drink some restaurants serve buttermilk with jeera powder and salt. 

In my house we somehow have disowned the practice of serving buttermilk and by chance if I serve it, my daughter's immediate question would be, 'what have we become garib?'

I feel incomplete when I do not have at least two containers of curd in reserve in the fridge, as I relish curd the maximum, for me at least  half a litre of curd should get into my system in a day. It's the national anthem of my diet. I am so happy both my grand daughters love curd rice. Somehow I feel it gives me energy and keeps me young in appearance .Apart from the genetic factor, my hair has not turned grey at the age of 59+ and it could be because of my curd intake?

Curd is diluted at night as they say it would not digest  at night but I do not agree to it.

Buttermilk is needed for kadi, morkuzhambhu, thayir pachchadi, avial, rava idli mix, morkali, morkoottu.   It's diluted when we run short of it during a large serving. 

Setting a curd is an art , some of my friends take curd from me as they say it does not set, I remember one of my friend's kids love to  have the curd from my house.

  Yogurt  has  preservatives and curd is made in a simple process. 

Different types of buttermilk,  simple one has only crushed curry leaves with a little bit of salt, next is with seasoning with mustard, asafoetida/ hing/ perungayam.

At the time of stomach upset having  a glass of buttermilk with salt, perungayam, and jeera powder gives a great relief to the system. 

Fo r Ramanavami, it's seasoned with perungayam mustard, curryleaves and salt, jokingly we used to say if we find the buttermilk slightly diluted,'yenna innikku Ramanavamiyaa?'

We in a joint family used to drink butter milk added to the' pazhaya saadathu thanneer' the chillness and the taste, nothing can beat it.  Inspite of no refrigerator, we enjoied the chill butter milk. 

If it turns sour then next day  one  can expect Morkuzhambhu.

In Dakor, ( Gujarat )  a famous  Lord Krishna's temple butter milk is freely served  to the devotees. 

Once when  I went with my colleague to Jaipur they served buttermilk with raw garlic and green chilly , I would say, I would never ever go for it even if I have to  starve to death, such an awful drink it just killed our appetite. 

  I read that  Curd  improves the digestive system, strengthens the immune system,clears  all  stomach problems,  beneficial for dealing with osteoporosis.

Consuming curd or yogurt increases the capacity to absorb the nutrients and minerals form other food stuffs.

those who are the lactose intolerants  it gives  all the nutritive contents of milk through curd.

Consumption of curd  with rice or without provides relief to the person suffering from dysentery.

Helps to get strong bones and teeth as its calcium content is high.

Helps to minimise the risk of high blood pressure.

Coping with high level of cholesterol becomes easier with the help of curd.

Not all like curd in general, so they can club it with other food items . It can be added to sabjis while making, it gives a different taste altogether. 

Curd is an excellent beauty product as it softens the skin, an excellent hair conditioner.

The bacteria in curd can help digest food and thus, alleviate the problem of stomach infection.

Yogurt helps you feel fuller and is thus, a very good snack for those trying to lose weight.

Being rich in calcium, curd is good for the health of bones as well as the teeth.

Eating yogurt on a regular basis can help you absorb the nutrients in other foods as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment