Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 13, 2014

An embodiment of divinity

As Narrated by Sri Matha Balu
Source: In the Presence of the Divine
Narratives of Experiences with Maha Periyaval - Volume 1
Translated by: Sujatha Vijayaraghavan


A Gurkha came for darshan, his face reflecting the heaviness of his heart.

"Ask him what the matter is", said Periyaval to the attendant.

The Gurkha said, "I have known only difficulties since I was born. But by some good fortune, I have come to Periyava who is the embodiment of divinity. I must be blessed that I am never born again".

Periyaval did not say, "Aha! May it so happen! You shall never be born again!" Very softly he spoke to the main.

"I do not have the power to grant that kind of a boon. But I shall pray to Candramoulisvara and Tripurasundari who I worship everyday, that your prayers be granted".

The Gurkha felt that this was a fair enough reply. He was thrilled. He received prasada and said as he left, "I have no more births. This is the declaration of the Lord".

With his eyes sparkling in the brilliance of his wisdom, Periyaval said, "After a long time, this was the only person who made such a prayer!" 

I remembered something I had heard. A scholar who was discoursing in the Ramanya once said, "Rama incarnated as a man. What gave him the courage to grant salvation to Jayatu. Inspite of himself, his divinity manifested itself!"

The attendants who were with Periyava may not have understood that Periyava was none other than Lord Sankara himself, but the Gurkha did!

No comments:

Post a Comment